M-KOPA Hiring Process Engineer-Nairobi, Kenya
OPERATIONS – SUPPLY CHAIN /
At M-KOPA, We Finance Progress.
The scale and impact of our work is massive. M-KOPA is a fast-growing FinTech company offering millions of underbanked customers across Africa access to life-enhancing products and services. From our roots as the pioneer in pay-as-you-go “PayGo’” solar energy for off-grid homes, we have grown into one of the most advanced connected asset ﬁnancing platforms in the world, empowering a broad range of customers to achieve progress in their lives.
Our people reflect this mission; we pride ourselves in empowering our people to own their own careers, and encouraging growth through our learning and development programs, coaching partnerships, and on-the-job training. As a collective, we value diversity, knowing every journey brings its own reward, and support each employee as they travel theirs. This includes our family-friendly policies, commitment to employee mental and physical well-being, and flexible working practices. Our aim is for every employee to be able to shape their own career, whilst helping shape the future of M-KOPA as we grow together.
Want to know more about M-KOPA? Click this link: About M-KOPA
As a Process Engineer, you will lead process engineering activities within M-KOPA’s phone assembly factory in Nairobi, with a steer of optimizing assembly line productivity, conducting root cause analysis on defective smartphones to deliver quality and provide data-driven solutions. You will define the assembly process work instructions/SOPs, and determine the requirements of the new processes, and equipment. You will troubleshoot, maintain process documentation and implement process improvements.
You will report to the Factory Manager.
- You will conduct line balancing and station cycle counts per model to evaluate the hourly output efficiency and sharing reports and proposals with management.
- You will analyze defective smartphones within the production floor and coming up with recommendations to reduce the in-line product defect rate
- Improve the productivity of assembly lines by designing new procedures and work instructions.
- Work with the quality team to observe any defect/quality issues and collaborate with suppliers for feedback and corrective action planning.
- Upon receipt of new consignment of raw materials into the factory, you will coordinate and follow the first article inspection with an objective of ensuring all resources e.g. equipment, people and processes are in consideration of start production, after which production starts.
- Coordinate the New Product Introduction (NPI) process to ensure the assembly plant is ready to start production of a new model/SKU, by coordinating different departments within phone assembly and training new production operators.
- You will liaise with suppliers to develop, document, review, improve and ensure compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and assembly work instruction methods and others e.g., line shut down procedure.
- You will train all our production operators on work methods, with an aim to reduce in-line quality defects, following feedback on the defect/root-cause analysis conducted from in-line defects on the assembly lines.
- You will mentor junior process engineers, manage performance for direct reports and motivate the team.
- You will be responsible for submission of related reports e.g., NPI reports, line efficiency reports, root cause analysis reports, and incident reports of abnormal problems in the production lines.
- Take lead in the documentation of smartphone troubleshooting and repair guide, with an aim to build a knowledge base on defect analysis, troubleshooting, and repair process.
- Ensure processes comply with safety and quality standards.
- Perform Optimization of production process, process improvement, and layout planning of production site.
- Champion and practice 6S Kaizen principles
- Liaise with the Engineering, production, and Quality Managers for action on defective machines or products.
- Develop and implement metrics to monitor and improve performance of processes.
- Any other tasks assigned by the manager.
- Degree in BSc in Electrical and Electronics engineering or related field.
- 1 or more years of experience in troubleshooting and repair of electronics especially smartphones, and engineering equipment
- Experience with process simulations and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to read and translate schematics.
- Ability to do conduct In-depth root-cause analysis with best practice RCA techniques.
- Are familiar with computer application, new systems and troubleshoot common computer failures.
- Proven project management experience to enable incumbent lead on New Product Introduction in the assembly line.
- Have superb analytical, problem-solving, critical thinking and advanced technical skills.
- Fast learner with ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Kaizen 6S Principles
- Understanding of production machinery and proper assembly procedures.
- Excellent knowledge of manufacturing safety protocols and regulations.
- Great compensation package
- Private health insurance (inpatient outpatient, maternity, eye care, and dental)
- Group Life Cover
- 21 days per annum (excluding public holidays). Annual leave is accrued at the standard rate of 1.75 days per month
M-KOPA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
M-KOPA explicitly prohibits the use of Forced or Child Labour and respects the rights of its employees to agree to terms and conditions of employment voluntarily, without coercion, and freely terminate their employment on appropriate notice. M-KOPA shall ensure that its Employees are of legal working age and shall comply with local laws for youth employment or student work, such as internships or apprenticeships.
M-KOPA does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’, or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.