M-KOPA Hiring Backend Engineer (Remote)-Nairobi, Kenya
Backend Engineer (Remote)
TECHNOLOGY – SOFTWARE ENGINEERING /
At M-KOPA, We Finance Progress.
The scale and impact of our work is massive. M-KOPA is a fast-growing FinTech company offering millions of underbanked customers across Africa access to life-enhancing products and services. From our roots as the pioneer in pay-as-you-go “PayGo’” solar energy for off-grid homes, we have grown into one of the most advanced connected asset ﬁnancing platforms in the world, empowering a broad range of customers to achieve progress in their lives.
At M-KOPA we are looking for a Backend Engineer to join the Retention Product Group. The group is responsible for retaining these customers by continuously providing them with life changing products such as cash loans, insurance, and buy-now-pay-later products. The group is made of four Agile Teams:
– Digital Financial Services – Focused on offering customers cash-loans through our M-KOPA App, and all the backend services required to support this.
– Eligibility – Working with Data Scientists to bring real-time eligibility checks to decide if, and how much we can offer a customer in a cash-loan.
– Identity – Ensuring a seamless customer login experience.
– Customer Interactions – A platform team that owns the direct interactions with customers, including the native Android App, SMS and USSD.
It is a fully remote role #LI-Remote, within the following time zone (UTC -1 / UTC+3). Our engineers work remotely from locations such as UK, Europe and Africa. You will be reporting to the Engineering Manager.
About this role:
- We pay important emphasis in Infrastructure as Code, Observability, and Automated Testing in all environments, including Production, which will be part in your daily job.
- We foster autonomy inside the teams, while keeping some standards across the company. We use the latest .NET stack, and are based in Azure using Kubernetes.
- We have a mix of legacy services and greenfield microservices, so if you love the challenge of improving a legacy codebase while working on new projects, and if you love working remotely, this might be a job for you.
You’re excited about this opportunity because:
- You like to put your people and teammates first and bring your most empathetic self to work
- You take a product-focused approach to development and drive changes with data.
- You make technical decisions based on stakeholders and user needs.
- You understand clean architecture and know how to keep domain teams decoupled.
- You write clear and reliable automated tests using testing best practices such as TDD.
- You apply data security practices, such as protecting Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
We’re excited about you because you:
- You have at least 2 years’ experience working as a professional software engineer
- You have commercial experience with C#.NET, and shipping high-quality backend code into production.
- You have knowledge of Azure and AKS or other containerized application deployment tools.
- You can write high quality code by applying software development principles such as KISS, YAGNI.
- You are comfortable with the DevOps culture, and with the idea of being involved with the management of the systems that you build through their entire lifecycle.
- You have a collaborative spirit and a desire to learn from teammates.
What’s in for you:
- Private health insurance (inpatient outpatient, maternity, eye care, and dental)
- Group Life Cover
- Remote working (dependent on the nature of the role)
- Airtime allowance (dependent on the nature of the role)
- WIFI payment up to 5 Mbps monthly (dependent on the nature of the role)
- 21 days per annum (excluding public holidays). Annual leave is accrued at the standard rate of 1.75 days per month
- Annual Learning and Development Fund – You have an annual $ 1,200 allowance to spend on learning and development
- Home Office Set Up – this includes a budget of $1000 that you can use at any time after signing the offer letter
- On site retreats with wider tech team, plus trips to operational markets
M-KOPA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
M-KOPA does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.